01 November, 2008

Game 3: Warriors 105 Nets 97

On the back end of a back-to-back where 4 players played 43+ minutes, the Golden State Warriors flew into New Jersey to knock off the Nets 105-97 in their first win of the season, led by a much better game plan from Don Nelson and Co. This game was huge in my opinion because Nelson fixed many of the problems I had with the previous two games, and as a result I'll get right into them:

The PG Problem

The previous two games the Warriors collapsed late as a result of a lack of ball movement, a lack of penetration in the key to get open shots for others, and a lack of ball control (18 turnovers in Toronto). These are seemingly things the PG of the team usually handles, but in the first game we saw Nelson experiment with his bigger lineup where Stephen Jackson handled the ball for most of the game. This resulted in an offense I wasn't a fan of, particularly in the 4th quarter, because there were just way too many iso plays. This game in New Jersey however, featured a PG at play I believe all game long. And it's a good thing Nelson picked this game to play his PG's, because as I alluded to in a previous post, teams might start pressing full court... What did we see tonight? About 5-7 presses, all of which we weren't really bothered by because either Watson or Nelson was out there. I really like the way we looked tonight because the ball seemed to move around alot better. Particularly I loved watching D. Nelson drive the lane and either kick it out for a better shot or actually attack the rim. He looked really aggressive tonight and I enjoyed it.

The Offensive Scheme
The PG problem kind of ties into this one but I think this deserves its own paragraph because it's incredibly important. Stephen Jackson wasn't the PG tonight, but man-o-man did I love his unselfish play, particularly in the 1st half. He actually finished the game with 8 assists while still playing his normal SG position. This was key because rather than him iso-ing every other play, he was running the pick and roll with Andris, and looking to get other guys open as well. Sure, in the second half he tried establishing himself a bit, and it worked. I would not mind at all if he attacked the game like this every night. I don't think we can be more effective than when we have Jackson and Biedrins working together like they did most of tonight, and portions of the previous 2 games. Every night Biedrins impresses me more with his ability to finish around the basket, and yet every night I ask myself why he doesn't get the ball more. Well Jackson was looking for him today and it was a huge problem for New Jersey to deal with.

Valuing Possessions
Yes, another offensive post, but that's been our problem lately. Another thing I really liked today was our ability to take guys to the rim. This is a statistic the Warriors probably havent achieved in years (I could easily be wrong but i certainly can't remember when): The Warriors shot 52 free throws tonight!!! Regardless of the probable fact that half were a result of poor defense, any time you get to the line that often you are valuing possessions because you typically come away with some amount of points. Forget that we only shot 65% from the line. The fact that we have the mindset to drive down the lane, particularly when we're only shooting 30% from behind the arc, shows that we can be very versatile with our offense. The nights we're hot we can light it up from 3, and when we're not feeling it we can take it to the rack and get fouled. If the Warriors can do this consistently we can be a very scary team to stop.

Forget any negatives... We won our first game of the season. I understand we let them come back a bit again late in the 4th quarter, but I'll pass that off as being tired from the last night and just wanting the game to end. This won't pass in future contests, but tonight, like I said, I'll let it slide.

Top 3 Performances

1. Andris Biedrins- 23 points 11 rebounds and 2 blocks. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The more we use Biedrins, the more efficient our offense is, and the scarier a team we can be. Enough Said.

2.Stephen Jackson- Loved his game tonight, particularly the way he looked to set up Biedrins most of the game. He finished with 23 points 8 assists and 5 rebounds. That's a mighty stat line.

3. Corey Maggette- I thought about giving this to D. Nelson since I thought he was pretty solid, I gotta give it to Maggette simply because he got to the line a ridiculous 15 times, and made 13 of them. That's just nuts. Forget that he went 3-13 fg's.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good wrap by you...
Here's my few cents worth:
1. If this team could shoot 57-80% on free throws it would be 3-0 right now and the talk of the NBA.
Amazingly, Biedrins did his part; I think he went 7 of 8, or something similar. By my caluclation, the team missed most of it's free throws in the 4th quarter and would have been around 50% without him.
2. I thought both Azubuke and CJ were very agressive tonight, going to the hole at every opportunity. While I like Nelson considering he's a rookie, CJ has a much better grasp of the offense. Also, Nelson appears to get flumoxed when double-teamed and put up a few too many crazy shots tonight.
3. Is it just me, or is Maggette just not as effective from the left side as he is on the right? He missed several layups from the left tonight, which he does not miss from the right. It seems AH also has that problem all to often. Though I love Maggette's free throw abilities, getting to the line seemingly with ease. Perhaps he can teach others on the team how to shoot the FT?
4. Speaking of AH, it seems he spent the first two games trying to be overly agressive on the offensive end. Perhaps to impress potential trade partners? However, tonight he went back to his old self of waiting for the ball to come around to him and taking the outside shot (and hitting a couple of crucial threes).
5. Agree with your ball movement point. The team appeared to run a lot more tonight than the other two, with much success.
6. Lastly, Biedrins is becoming almost unstoppable at times. He has developed the postup game, takes nice floaters, is extremely quick to the basket, has a new baby hook, and appears better able to finish with the right hand than he did last year (being a lefty and all).
Really enjoying your blog. Keep it up!

AndrewR1388 said...

Probably the most in depth comment so far... thanks... too bad we can't recognize your name to give you any props...

Anyhow, I totally agree with you about Harrington. He put up 7 threes the last game are you kidding me? Ugh... And Biedrins is really making me happy because we just locked this kid up for years and he's becoming a beast. A consistent one too. If Monta can come back healthy they will really be a heck of a duo, particularly if they get some Jax Biedrins mojo going together...

Anyhow I think your best point was that we could easily be 3-0 right now and the talk of the NBA. I never really thought of it that way and I appreciate the view. I guess I've been too concerned with all the nitpicking at problems and issues I have with the team that I completely neglected the idea that hey: If a few things happened differently we could've been 3-0. BTW the hornets look good and are still undefeated (we nearly knocked them off)

NoCalFred said...

OK.... I give. I'll go by "NoCalFred" in lieu of "anonymous" from now on...
Later.

Anonymous said...

so faetati, why the name change to ninerwarrior?

AndrewR1388 said...

Not sure why you think I'm faetati, although I am familiar with him... But I'm not. Im just NinerWarrior on some websites and AndrewR1388 on others. Not Faetati